Monday 21 November 2011

My first week with Tavaziva Dance!

Hello there, I’m Laura and this will be my first week working as a Marketing and Admin Assistant for Tavaziva Dance! I have recently graduated from Roehampton University with a BA(Hons) Degree in Dance Studies and since graduating I have become the co- founder of ‘ImpelDance’; a contemporary dance company based in the South of England. Each week I will be giving an insight into the job role and what it‘s like to be working for a professional dance company.  I am extremely excited to have the opportunity to work with such a talented group of people and hope to learn and grow throughout my 5 months with the company.
My week so far has flown by and I have loved every minute of it! Working within close proximity of the dancers and Bawren has given me a clear insight into how they work as a team and it is apparent that there is a real sense of closeness and support. Having the opportunity to work with professionals on a day to day basis has already given me an outlook of what the company needs and strives for in order to succeed. Tavaziva are one of only 57 organisations to be accepted for continuing support from the Arts Council England, displaying the continued success of the company and impact the company has already made on the UK dance scene!
The company are currently working towards the Spring 2012 tour of ‘Sensual Africa’ and it is thrilling to be involved within the creative process. I spent part of an afternoon in the studio watching duets for the new piece and was completely in awe! The work so far is physical, sensual, powerful, and there is a sense of intimacy between dancers. African beats are heard throughout the music creating an atmosphere and emphasising the stimulus of the piece. Even watching just a small snippet of the work, I can already see it forming quickly and Bawren has got a clear direction of where he wants the work to go.
The days are already filling up on the calendar and I am excited for what is to come over the next few weeks. I have already had the opportunity to liaise with venues and help to promote the winter intensive lead by Bawren over the 20th,21st,22nd December (for more info please go to http://www.tavazivadance.com/ or email me on admin@tavazivadance.com). Week two is quickly approaching, so watch this space for my next post and I look forward to sharing the rest of my experience with you!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment